Cryptocurrencies have gained a significant amount of attention in recent years, and it’s no surprise that celebrities have jumped on the bandwagon. While some have embraced the world of crypto with open arms, others have decided to steer clear. In this article, we’ll take a comprehensive look at which celebrities joined and left the crypto craze in 2022.
Celebrities Who Have Embraced Crypto in 2022
- Paris Hilton: The socialite and businesswoman made headlines in 2022 when she announced that she was getting into crypto. Hilton revealed that she had invested in a number of different cryptocurrencies and even started her own crypto project called Paris Hilton Coin. In an interview with CNBC, Hilton stated that she saw great potential in the crypto space and was excited to be a part of it.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr.: The retired boxer has always been known for his love of luxury, and it looks like he’s found a new way to indulge in it: by investing in crypto. Mayweather has been vocal about his support for cryptocurrencies and has even endorsed a number of ICOs (initial coin offerings). In a tweet, Mayweather stated that he was “all in” on crypto and encouraged his followers to get involved as well.
- Gwyneth Paltrow: The actress and wellness guru surprised many when she revealed that she was a fan of crypto. Paltrow has been vocal about her support for bitcoin and has even participated in a bitcoin-themed episode of her hit show “Goop Lab.” In an interview with Forbes, Paltrow stated that she saw crypto as a “fascinating” and “revolutionary” technology that had the potential to change the world.
- Kim Kardashian West: The reality TV star and beauty mogul surprised many when she announced that she was getting into crypto. Kardashian West revealed that she had invested in a number of different cryptocurrencies and was excited about the possibilities that the technology offered. In a tweet, Kardashian West stated that she was “learning so much” about crypto and encouraged her followers to do their own research.
- Elon Musk: The tech entrepreneur and CEO of SpaceX and Tesla made headlines in 2022 when he announced that he was a fan of crypto. Musk has been vocal about his support for bitcoin and has even suggested that it could become a viable currency for transactions on his companies’ platforms. In a tweet, Musk stated that he believed that crypto had the potential to “help facilitate a more efficient monetary system.”
Celebrities Who Have Stepped Away from Crypto in 2022
- Jamie Foxx: In 2022, the actor and comedian announced that he was distancing himself from the crypto world. Foxx had previously endorsed a number of ICOs and had even hosted a crypto-themed party, but he announced that he was no longer comfortable with the space. In a statement, Foxx stated that he had become concerned about the lack of regulation in the crypto industry and did not want to be associated with any potential scams.
- 50 Cent: The rapper made headlines in 2014 when it was revealed that he had accidentally made millions by accepting bitcoin as payment for his album “Animal Ambition.” However, it looks like 50 Cent has since changed his tune on crypto. In 2022, he revealed that he had sold all of his bitcoin and was no longer interested in the space. In an interview with CNBC, 50 Cent stated that he had “lost faith” in the crypto industry and did not want to be associated with it any longer.
- Mark Cuban: The entrepreneur and “Shark Tank” star was once a vocal supporter of crypto, but in 2022, he announced that he had soured on the space. Cuban cited the lack of regulation and the potential for scams as the reasons for his change of heart. In an interview with Forbes, Cuban stated that while he believed that blockchain technology had the potential to be disruptive, he was not convinced that cryptocurrencies were a good investment.
- Neil Young: The rock legend made headlines in 2022 when he announced that he was no longer interested in crypto. Young had previously endorsed a cryptocurrency called Maonocoin, which was meant to be used for purchasing merchandise and tickets for his concerts. However, Young announced that he was discontinuing the use of Maonocoin and would be focusing on other payment methods. In a statement, Young cited the lack of regulation and the potential for fraud as the reasons for his decision.
- Jamie Dimon: The CEO of JPMorgan Chase was once a vocal critic of bitcoin, but in recent years, he had softened his stance somewhat. However, in 2022, Dimon announced that he was once again bearish on the crypto market. In an interview with CNBC, Dimon stated that he believed that cryptocurrencies were “not real” and were being used for nefarious purposes.
As we can see, the world of crypto is always changing, and it’s not surprising that celebrities’ opinions on the matter can change as well. While some have had great success with their crypto investments, others have decided to steer clear. Regardless, it’s safe to say that the crypto craze is here to stay and will continue to attract the attention of celebrities and everyday investors alike.